Below is the outline of the programs that are slated for AC Business Entrepreneurship Month. The 4 weeks of June will each contain programs around the following 4 themes: Marketing, Finance, Management, and Product Development. Each week consists of trainings, workshops, or information sessions on the weekly theme. The final event of each week is a team-oriented competition that will allow teams to put the theoretic knowledge of the previous sessions to practice. I am looking into the possibility of providing financial prizes to the winning team of each week’s challenges.
Bulleted explanations of activities and programs are provided where explanation is necessary.
People who attend at least 6 of the 8 activities below that are marked by an asterisk (*) plus at least 4 of the 11 programs without an asterisk will receive an official certificate endorsed by Injaz, the American Corner, Shell, Citigroup, and other participating companies and organizations that signifies their successful completion of a rigorous month of business training programming.
Most sessions will be held in English. Participation in these programs is open to anyone and is FREE.
• Where: American Corner at AMIDEAST, 22 Rue al-Amine al-Abbassi, Cite Jardins, 1002 Tunis Belvedere (near Place Pasteur and the British Council)
• When: See times next to events below.
Marketing Week (Week of June 5)
Mon June 6 (4PM) – Marketing Workshop by Injaz
Tues June 7 (4PM) – Guest Speaker on Careers in Marketing by Injaz
*Wed June 8 (4PM) – Brainstorming and Designing a Tourism Marketing Campaign for Tunisia
• Teams of students will put together a marketing campaign to promote tourism in Tunisia. They will create a logo to market Tunisia and put together a concept presentation for an advertisement to encourage tourism in Tunisia
*Thurs June 9 (4PM) – Preparation for Sandwich Selling Contest
• Students will be given around 15TD to buy ingredients to make sandwiches. They must decide what types of sandwiches they will make, how to promote their sandwich brand with posters and advertising, and how to price and sell their sandwiches. They will make their plans, and on Friday or Saturday, they will go to a public location (currently slated for Menzah 6 in front on Monoprix) and try to sell their sandwiches to regular citizens.
*Fri or Sat June 10 or 11 (1PM-4PM) – Sandwich Selling Contest in Public location
• Sandwich selling teams will have 3 hours to sell sandwiches in Menzah 6. The team with the highest profit wins.
Finance Week (Week of June 12)
Mon June 13 (4PM) – Finance Fundamentals by Ravi
• Workshop on financial statements and basic ratios for financial analysis
Tues June 14 (4PM) – Guest Speaker on Technical and Financial Analysis from Injaz
• Speaker will explain tools for making stock investment decisions
Wed June 15 (4PM) – Banking Simulation or Banking Professional Talking about Career in Banking Industry by Injaz
*Thurs June 16 (4PM) – Kick-Off Stock Market Investing Competition
• I will introduce teams to the website we will use for investing in stocks (not for real just for pretend), and explain the rules of the game. Teams can research stocks and determine which picks to buy. The objective is to maximize return on their investments.
Management Week (Week of June 19)
Mon June 20 (4PM) – Employee Engagement Presentation by Ravi
• I’ll present about employee management and motivation.
Tues June 21 (4PM) – Presentation of Good to Great by Ravi
• I will present management best practices from the business book Good to Great.
Wed June 22 (4PM) – Guest Speaker on Management by Injaz
Thurs June 23 (4PM) – Short 1-2 hour simulation on HR or Information Session on Careers in HR
*Fri June 24 (4PM) – Short Business Case Activity (full time shouldn’t be more than 2 hours) or if that isn’t possible, then shortened Management Dilemmas and Scenarios Challenge judged by someone from Injaz
• Injaz is looking into a business case problem that could be completed (reading and discussion and all) in 2 hours maximum. If such a case cannot be found, the proposal is for Injaz to select a facilitator who can pose 1-2 paragraph management scenarios or ethical dilemmas in management that teams would have to react to. The Injaz-selected facilitator of the event would select the team at the end who he thinks has offered the best management solutions to the problems posed. That team would be judged the winning of this contest.
Product Development Week (Week of June 26)
Mon June 27 (4PM) – Strategies for Innovative Thinking by Ravi
• I’ll present some techniques and tools that can be used to practice innovative thinking and a creative mindset
Tues June 28 (4PM) – Guest Speaker on Product Development or R&D/Intro to Careers in R&D by Injaz
*Wed June 29 (4PM) – Workshop on Redesigning a Table
• Teams will be given a boring everyday object like a table. They must brainstorm creative ideas on how to redesign a table by giving it additional features, capabilities, and/or a new look. Teams will organize their ideas into a presentation
* Thurs June 30 (4PM) – Team Presentations of Table Resign Concepts to Judge Provided by Injaz
• Teams from Wednesday will present their table redesign ideas to a judge selected by Injaz who will choose the winning team
*Fri July 1 (4PM) – Results of Stock Market Investing Competition from Finance Week Announced